Saturday, April 19, 2008

90/99MW: Can't pass it up

"Unsung" by Helmet off of Meantime. This song was Helmet's first to make MTV rotation. After it started playing a kid a couple years ahead of me on my high school track team was the first to buy the album. Asked his opinion of it on a team bus ride, he said it was OK. He was wrong. It's amazing, and now classic.



UPDATE: Ron Wood chimes in to say he saw "In The Meantime" on Headbangers Ball before Unsung. I don't remember it that way, but it was a while ago at this point, I could be wrong. Previous to the Meantime stuff, there were videos for "Bad Mood" and "Blacktop" off of their first album, Strap It On, but I don't think they made any kind of dent on MTV.

According to the singles list on Helmet's Wikipedia, "Unsung" and "Give It" were released before "In The Meantime," but it also lists "Biscuits For Smut" before "Wilma's Rainbow" off of Betty, and I remember it the other way around.

We're going to need Project Quantum Leap to solve this one.

No comments: