Wednesday, April 16, 2008

90/99MW: Mashed potatoes and stuff like that

"Sliver" by Nirvana off of Incesticide, the album Geffen released after Nevermind featuring demos, covers and stuff that didn't make the Nevermind cut. Amazon called this "a fascinating if less-than-truly essential listening experience," but I beg to differ. In fact, if I had to choose one Nirvana album to keep, it would probably be this one.

In high school I listened to so much Nirvana I pretty much ruined it for myself. To listen to it then was pointless because my mind would just wander and I wouldn't even hear the songs. Not unlike what happened with Yuengling Lager by the end of college. I'd drank it so often (and with enough frequency) that it became like water — I barely even tasted it anymore.

It wasn't until a few months back that I finally ripped all my Nirvana CDs to my computer, and so their songs started popping up in iTunes shuffles. It must have been enough years away from them because they sound good. And the Incesticide tracks still stand out.

Oh, Yuengling tastes good again too.

No comments: